The Green Gables Inn at 301 Ocean View Avenue is one of the first locations we point out on the Voice Map Pacific Grove tour.  It has a wonderful story..

This is also a great place to take a walk and maybe get a close up of Green Gables...Green Gables was first buit in 1888 by Englishman, William Lacy, who was an engineer.  It was known as “the Red House” because the framing was redwood.  The Lacys lived in Los Angeles and never occupied the home.  Instead, their friend Emma Murdoch, along with her baby daughter Penelope were the first occupants.  Penelope grew up here with her dog King...and there are stories of her playing in the Chinese village nearby.  Over the years Green Gables changed hands many times, but, it was not until 1958 when John and Nora Flatley bought the home, that it became an Inn and was christened Green Gables.  However, it had one more go as a private resident when the Post family purchased it in 1971….the Posts raised four daughters there.  Once grown the Four Entrepreneurial Sisters decided to rent out their rooms in the summer and not only did Green Gables ultimately,  become a full fledged Inn with 11 beautiful rooms, but Four Sisters became a company which now owns 17 similar Inns across California. …

Post comment ...
Anonymous comments are disabled. Login