It's coming around to be that time of year again!
Mavericks Surf Invitational season begins November 1st and will run through March 31, 2014. This year’s Opening Ceremony will take place on the beach on Friday, October 25, 2013. The day features the official Opening Ceremony and paddle-out to share the spirit of this special place with the community that embraces the world of big wave surfing.
The event has already named this season's competitors.
The following invited contestants receive the famous green light alert and have approximately 24 hours to arrive for the event....
- Ryan Augenstein (Santa Cruz, CA)
- Grant Baker (South Africa)
- Chris Bertish (South Africa)
- Carlos Burle (Brazil)
- Kohl Christensen (Hawaii)
- Ken Collins (Santa Cruz, CA)
- Shawn Dollar (Santa Cruz, CA)
- Shane Dorian (Hawaii)
- Colin Dwyer (Pacifica, CA)
- Nathan Fletcher (San Clemente, CA)
- Tyler Fox (Aptos, CA)
- Mark Healey (Hawaii)
- Nic Lamb (Santa Cruz, CA)
- Greg Long (San Clemente, CA)
- Rusty Long (San Clemente, CA)
- Alex Martins (Brazil)
- Peter Mel (Santa Cruz, CA)
- Ryan Seelbach (San Francisco, CA)
- Jamie Sterling (Hawaii)
- Anthony Tashnick (Santa Cruz, CA)
- Grant Washburn (San Francisco, CA)
- Dave Wassell (Hawaii)
- Ben Wilkinson (Australia)
- Zach Wormhoudt (Santa Cruz, CA)
- Shane Desmond (Santa Cruz, CA)
- Danilo Couto (Brazil)
- Derek Dunfee (San Diego, CA
- Kelly Slater (Cocoa Beach, FL)
- Tyler Smith (Santa Cruz, CA)
- Frank Solomon (South Africa)
Mavericks Invitational is the world’s premiere, high adrenaline, big wave surfing event. This one-day, invitation-only surf competition is held at the legendary Mavericks surf break located ½ mile offshore at Pillar Point Harbor, just 20 minutes south of San Francisco. The 24 most daring big-wave surfers in the world will attempt to tame the massive swells on the biggest and best day of the winter season. Fans are invited to watch via a live webcast or at the Viewing Festival and the official Awards Ceremony on the grounds of the Oceano Hotel & Spa at Harbor Village.
The Mavericks website: