NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF RV PARKS AND CAMPGROUNDS PINPOINTS PARKS THAT STILL HAVE ROOM FOR SNOWBIRDS
At least 52 private parks have yet to fill up for the season, all of which can be located on www.GoCampingAmerica.com
LARKSPUR, Colo., Jan. 11, 2010 – Most retirees who plan to spend all or part of the winter in Sunbelt campgrounds, RV parks and resorts have already made their reservations.
But for those who have waited to the last minute, the task of locating a private park that still has room for short or long-term winter visitors just got a little easier: Working with its state affiliates, the National Association of RV Parks and Campgrounds has assembled a list of parks that still have room for snowbirds.
“We think this will make it a little easier for snowbirds who are just now heading south to pinpoint parks that still have room for extended stays,” said Linda Profaizer, president and CEO of the National Association of RV Parks and Campgrounds, whose website, www.GoCampingAmerica.com, contains detailed information on campgrounds, RV parks and resorts across the country.
As of early January, at least 52 campgrounds, RV parks and resorts in California, Arizona, Texas and Florida had yet to fill up for the season. Parks that still have vacancy for short- and long-term winter visitors include:
- Anaheim Resort RV Park in Anaheim: Located one mile from Disneyland, this pet-friendly park offers a heated swimming pool and hot water spa. www.anaheimresortrvpark.com
- Bakersfield Palms RV Park in Bakersfield: This park features a heated pool, horseshoe pit and children’s playground. www.palmsrv.com
- Bakersfield R.V. Resort in Bakersfield: This park has many amenities, including an onsite message therapist, a fitness center and gym, a putting green, plus a bar and restaurant and Internet café. www.bakersfieldrvresort.com
- Black Meadow Landing in Parker Dam: The park, located along Lake Havasu, offers fishing, boating, birdwatching and golf. www.blackmeadowlanding.com
- Butterfield Ranch Resort in Julian: This park is located near the historic gold mining town of Julian and Anza Borrego State Park in San Diego County. www.butterfieldresort.com
- Calizona RV Park in Needles: This park, located on historic Route 66 and overlooking the Colorado River and the Topock wetlands, features crafts, horseshoes and exercise classes. www.calizonarvpark.com
- Campland on the Bay in San Diego: This park offers extensive activities for people of all ages, from arts and crafts classes to beach volleyball, basketball, kickball, Capture the Flag, darts, horseshoes, pickleball, adult ping pong and water sports. The campground also has its own skatepark. www.campland.com
- DeAnza Springs Resort in Jacumba: This clothing-optional park is located in the mountains roughly one hour east of San Diego. www.deanzasprings.com
- Kit Fox RV Park: This new park near Interstate 5 is 92 miles south of Sacramento. The park plans to add a dog run and putting green. www.kitfoxrvpark.com
- La Pacifica RV Resort in San Diego: This park’s amenities include a video and book library, a large recreation room with a wide screen TV and a heated pool and spa. www.lapacificarvresortpark.com
- Marina Dunes RV Park in Marina: This 88-site park is close to the beach and just a few miles north of Monterey. email@example.com
- Merced River RV Resort in Delhi: This San Joaquin Valley park is located just south of Modesto. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mountain Gate RV Park in Redding: Located three miles south of Shasta Lake, this northern San Joaquin Valley park features big rig friendly sites, a solar heated swimming pool and a fenced dog park. www.mt-gatervpark.com
- Pismo Sands RV Park in Oceano: In addition to offering nearby hiking, ocean swimming and kayaking opportunities, this park features a heated swimming pool and spa and arcade with pool and air hockey tables. www.pismosands.com
- Sands RV and Golf Resort in Desert Hot Springs: This park’s amenities include a 9-hole executive golf course; a leash free dog park; a large heated pool and two Jacuzzis. Activities include a hiking club, and classes in dancing, water aerobics and arts and crafts. www.sandsrvresort.com
- Shadow Hills RV Resort in Indio: This pet friendly park has a heated pool and Jacuzzi, a state-of-the-art fitness center and recreation room with pool and ping pong tables and shuffleboard courts. www.shadowhillsrvresort.com
- Sleepy Hollow RV Park in Willets: This 18-site, pet-friendly park has a small pond and recreation room. email@example.com
- Twentynine Palms Resort in Twentynine Palms: This park has its own 9-hole golf course with water obstacles, sand bunkers, and doglegs. www.29palmsresort.com
- Victorville Shady Oasis in Victorville: This 136-site, pet-friendly park is in the high desert. (888) 897-2153
- Apache Palms RV Park in Tempe: This park, located along Valley Metro’s light rail line, offers 80 full hookup sites with 20, 30 and 50 amp electrical service, phone connections as well as free cable TV. Pull-through sites are also available. www.apachepalmsrvpark.com
- Desert’s Edge RV Village in Phoenix: This park offers a heated pool and spa, a playground, basketball court, a fitness room, video games, billiards, a book exchange and pet grooming stations. New upgrades this year include new pool decking and new shade awnings in the pool area, a new universal weight machine for the fitness center, new landscaping, and plumbing improvements, including new washing machines. www.desertsedgerv.com
- Eagle View RV Resort in Fort McDowell: This park is next to the Fort McDowell Casino and the We-Ko-Pa Golf Club. It features a heated pool and spa, a complimentary Continental breakfast, an extensive clubhouse with a library, computer room, billiards, plasma TV and group accommodations, and free high-speed wireless Internet service and a free shuttle to the Fort McDowell Casino. www.eagleviewrvresort.com
- Rincon Country East RV Resort and Rincon Country West RV Resort, both in Tucson: These parks feature numerous activities, including shuffleboard; lapidary and silversmithing; art classes; exercise classes; round dancing, square dancing and line dancing; sewing and needlecraft; woodworking; pottery and ceramics; pickleball and bocce ball. The parks also have computer and photo/digital imaging clubs. www.rinconcountry.com
- Shangri-La R.V. Resort in Yuma: This park, which celebrates its 25th anniversary this year, offers numerous planned activities, including exercise classes, arts and crafts, cards, volleyball, shuffleboard, golf, a computer group, a quilting group, line dancing and horseshoes. The park’s latest improvements include new carpeting in the billiard room, card room and library; new decking for the pool area and a new exercise room. www.shangrilarv.com
- Advanced RV Park in Houston-Pearland: This park offers hot showers, a tree at every campsite, a clubhouse, playground, swimming pool and spa and shuffleboard courts. www.advancedrvpark.com
- Mockingbird Hill RV Park in Burleson: This park has pull-through sites with 20/30/50 amp service as well as instant phone and modem hookups and wireless Internet service. It is convenient to everything in the Dallas / Fort Worth area. www.mockingbirdrvpark.com
- The Mermaid’s Cove in Spring Branch: This park along the Guadalupe River features cabin rentals, tent camping and boondocker sites in addition to RV sites with 30 and 50 amp connections. www.themermaidcove.com
- Treetops RV Village in Arlington: Located between Dallas and Fort Worth, this park features pull through sites, premium and presidential sites, a swimming pool, cable TV, wireless Internet service; a laundry room, a bathhouse, and private phone rooms. www.carefreervresorts.com
- The Vineyards Campground & Cabins in Grapevine: Many of this park’s weekly sites are available at this time of year. The park is located between Dallas and Fort Worth along the southeastern shore of Grapevine Lake. www.thevineyards.com
- Mill Creek Ranch RV and Cottage Resort in Canton: This park, which hosted a New Year’s Eve murder mystery dinner, offers RV sites as well as park model rentals. It is the closest park to the largest monthly flea-market (Canton Trade Days) in Texas! www.millcreekranchresort.com
- Valley Gateway RV Park in Edinburg: This park offers organized activities in its clubhouse, including card games, shuffleboard, ping-pong and billiards as well as occasional dances. www.valleygatewayrvpark.com
- Yogi Bear’s Jellystone Park in Canyon Lake: This family friendly Hill Country park has both RV and cabin accommodations available during the winter season. Park activities include gem mining, hayrides, laser tag, arts and crafts, horseshoes, pedal carts, karaoke and themed weekends. www.jellystonehillcountry.com
- Camping on the Gulf in Destin: This park features both beach front and grassy sites as well as park model cabins. The park also has a fitness center and a new business center with Internet connections, printers and scanners and office supplies. www.campgulf.com
- Cross Creek RV Resort in Arcadia: Occupancy levels at this park are higher than last winter’s figures. However, a handful of the park’s 520 seasonal sites are still available for the winter season. www.crosscreekrv.com
- Crystal Lake RV Park in Mims: This park is on central Florida’s east coast and is close to Daytona Beach, Cocoa Beach, the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge, the Kennedy Space Center and Orlando. www.crystallakervpark.com
- Flamingo Lake RV Resort in Jacksonville: This park’s amenities include a beach, an exercise room and a café. www.flamingolake.com
- Florida Gateway RV Resort in Jasper: This 62-site park just opened in August and features pull through sites, free Wi-Fi, private bathhouses, minigolf, shuffleboard and a pond. Its website is not yet completed, but the park can be reached at (386) 792-2692.
- Ho Hum RV Park in East Carrabelle: This Good Sam park, located in the eastern panhandle of Florida south of Tallahasee, has over 400 feet of beach with a fishing pier.
- Jolly Roger Travel Park in Marathon: This park’s activities include bingo, kayaking, dance classes, wine tasting and fly fishing demonstrations as well as a park dinner every other Friday night in which the guests bring a side dish.
- Lake Waldena Resort in Silver Springs: This park still has a few sites available with 30 and 50 amp electrical service. www.lakewaldena.com
- Lakeport RV Resort in Moore Haven: This park’s amenities include a boat ramp and fish cleaning house. www.lakeportrvresort.com
- Lake Como in Lutz: This nudist club resort offers tennis, volleyball, petanque, shuffleboard, basketball, pickleball and horseshoes in addition to several natural trails and lakes. www.lakecomonaturally.com
- Peace River Campground in Arcadia: This park’s activities include fossil hunting and canoeing. www.peacerivercampground.com
- Pecan Park RV Resort in Jacksonville: This park is close to Jacksonville Municipal Stadium, the Mayo Clinic and the International Airport. Onsite amenities include a catfish pond, pool, sun deck and clubroom with full kitchen and barbecue grills. www.pecanparkrvresort.com
- Pahokee Beach RV Resort in Pahokee: This park is on Lake Okeechobee and features excellent fishing. The park does not have a website as yet but can be reached at (541) 924-2511.
- Palm Beach RV Park in West Palm Beach: This park includes pull through campsites. (561) 346-1715.
- Riverwood Park Campground in Oak Hill: This park is located on the intracoastal waterway and features excellent fishing. www.riverwoodpark.com
- Sun N Fun Resort and Campground in Sarasota: This park features more than 150 activities during the winter season. www.sunnfunfl.com
- Sunset King Lake RV Resort in DeFuniak Springs: This Florida panhandle park is on King Lake, a 580-acre lake that has been stocked with black bass, crappie, shell-cracker and bream. www.sunsetking.com
- The Woods RV and Park Model Resort in Land O’ Lakes: This nudist resort features heated pools, a large clubhouse and large upscale lots. www.thewoodsrv.com
- Thousand Palms Resort in the Wildwood / Inverness area: This park features 25 to 35 activities each week, including nature walks and power walks, craft and photography classes, bingo, game nights and off-site excursions. www.thousandpalmsresort.com
- Zachary Taylor RV Resort in Lake Okeechobee: This park’s activities include arts and crafts, billiards and darts, dances, cards, bingo, water aerobics, breakfasts and dinners. www.flrvresort.com